It is the time of year that many of us are looking at how we can make positive changes to ourselves and our lives. We often start the new year with a big list of things we want to change and this can often be overwhelming and unrealistic.
Many of us want to become more fit and healthy and this can include losing some of the Christmas weight we have put on in the last month or so.
So here are a few tips to help with weight loss and healthy eating:
- Cut out refined sugars: Our bodies can not process all the extra sugars that we have in our modern diets. Sugar that is not used up for energy is stored as fat, especially around the middle of the body. Look out for hidden sugar in sauces, tinned soups and many processed foods.
- Include plenty of healthy proteins such as eggs, nuts, seeds, fish and quinoa as these help to balance blood sugar levels and which can decrease the amount of fat your body stores.
- Increase healthy fats (fat doesn’t make you fat, carbohydrates and sugars do) and green leafy vegetables.
- Reduce all processed foods and refined carbohydrates. Focus on complex carbohydrates such as brown basmati rice and oats, but eat in moderation.
- Reduce stress: When we are stressed our bodies release hormones which pump sugar into our blood to give us energy. Part of the fight or flight system. If we are not using this sugar as energy it is stored as fat. Try yoga or meditation and make time for the things that you enjoy.
- Exercise: We all know this one! It doesn’t need to be high intensity or overwhelming. Even walking can help to burn off fat.
- Drink plenty of plain water and herbal teas.
Check out my weight loss programme for more information on how I can help you create a personalised programme.: